Calling all Instagrammers who LOVE Virginia’s outdoors!
Join in the statewide #VAOutdoors InstaMeet on Saturday, June 20 at one of these fun, beautiful outdoor locations. If you’ve never participated in an InstaMeet, here’s the gist:
– Show up at the set time to meet with other Instagrammers
– Photograph and/or video the beauty or adventure around you
– Share your shots and video on Instagram using the hashtag #VAOutdoors and the hashtag of your particular InstaMeet
– See your photos and videos appear in a Virginia is for Lovers Storify, which will be shared through our official social channels
Give us a follow on Instagram at @VisitVirginia; we’ll be sharing some of our favorite #VAOutdoors shots!
— MAP IT OUT —
— JUNE 20 #VAOUTDOORS INSTAMEETS —
Check back often as we add more InstaMeets!
— Hampton: Slide the City, #SlideTheCityHamptonVA —
Slide the City is a 1,000-foot-long giant slip and slide that’s making its way around the country this summer. Enjoy it in Hampton on June 20! Meet in front of the Crowne Plaza at 2 p.m. for a group photo, but also Instagram throughout your day of fun!
— Roanoke: Roanoke Star, #StarMeet —
The iconic Roanoke Star is the designated meet-up location; 6:30 p.m. should provide perfect ambient natural light for your shots. The views are immense and the trails around the area are sure to please as well.
— Chesapeake: KayaXpedition, #PeakeFun —
The annual KayaXpedition is a kayaking, canoeing and stand-up paddle-boarding festival. This year there are activities for beginner paddlers, experienced racers, and families that want to have an adventure together.
— Nickelsville: Bush Mill, #BushMillVA —
Nickelsville’s historic Bush Mill dates to 1896. Make it your sunset centerpiece or find a stunning vantage point from its location on the 20th. Be there at 7:30 p.m.
— Mount Jackson: Meems Bottom Covered Bridge, #ShenCoOutdoors —
If you love fun on the river, this is your InstaMeet! Show up at 11 a.m. with your tubes, kayaks and canoes at Meems Bottom Covered Bridge for a day out on the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.!
— Woodstock: Woodstock Tower, #ShenCoOutdoors —
From Woodstock Tower you can enjoy spectacular views of the Seven Bends of the Shenandoah River and Fort Valley from an elevation of 2000′.
— Woodbridge: Leesylvania State Park, #DiscoverPWM —
Leesylvania State Park in Manassas is perfect for hiking, birding, and water fun on the Potomac River. Head to Lee’s Woods Trail trailhead at 11 a.m. to meet up and then go explore the park and Instagram to your heart’s delight.
— Richmond: Maymont, #Maymont —
If you’ve never explored the 100-acre estate in Richmond, now’s as good a time as any. Maymont welcomes you to explore their beautiful gardens, sculptures and waterfall. It’s a photographer’s … ahem, Instagrammer’s paradise. Arrive to the Visitor Desk inside the Nature & Visitor Center at 10 a.m. Access Shields Lake Drive via Shirley Lane or Amelia Street as streets of Byrd Park will not be accessible at that time.
— Eagle Rock: Roaring Run Recreational Area, #RoaringRun —
Pack a picnic and come out to Roaring Run Recreational Area in Eagle Rock. Check out the eight miles of trails that crisscross Roaring Run Creek, and for sure, don’t miss Roaring Run Falls! In fact, the Virginia is for Lovers staff photographer will be at the Roaring Run Falls trail head at 11 a.m.; come say hi!
— Alexandria: Old Town Alexandria, #ExtraordinaryALX —
You’re cordially invited to take a Photowalk in Old Town Alexandria. Join in the fun at the corner of Queen Street and N. St. Asaph Street between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. From there you’ll discover countless picturesque sights within a few short blocks as you get outdoors on a guided walking tour of Old Town Alexandria. Points of interest include the Spite House (the skinniest house in America), historic King Street, the Potomac River waterfront, as well as Mansion House and Carlyle House (their Civil War stories inspired an upcoming PBS drama, Mercy Street).
— Virginia Beach: False Cape State Park, #VisitVABeach —
Bring your beach cruiser, your phone and your curiosity as you capture Virginia Beach’s widlife in action inside False Cape State Park, one of the last remaining undeveloped areas along the Atlantic coast. Nestled between Back Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, this remote refuge offers an opportunity to experience the beach life in a unique, primitive setting. Meet at Little Island Park at 10 a.m. for a bike tour into False Cape. Local’s tip: Bring cash as it is $2 to enter Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge and $5 to park at Little Island Park. Bike rentals are available through our InstaMeet host, Surf and Adventure Co. (ph. 757.721.6210).
— Purcellville: Harper’s Ferry Adventure Center, #InstAdventures —
Harper’s Ferry Adventure Center offers a wide variety of outdoor adventures like tubing, whitewater rafting, zip line tours, aerial adventures and more! Come check out Harper’s Ferry Adventure Center and capture the adventure of others and on your own! InstaMeeters get the opportunity to participate in tubing and the aerial park at a discounted rate!
– 11:30 Raft Trip – Take photos of a departing raft trip. Guests will be suited up, rafts will be loaded onto trucks, and guides will give a safety speech on the property before the bus takes the guests to the river.
– 12:00-1:30 Zip Line – A group of zipliners are scheduled for 12:00. InstaMeeters can get shots of them zipping through the trees.
– 2:00-3:30 White Water Tubing – InstaMeeters have the chance to go on a whitewater tubing trip for half off. Leave on any of the shuttles throughout the day (doesn’t have to be the 2:00 trip). Prior reservations are needed—just call in and say you’re with Instameet.
– 4:30-6:30 Arial Park – InstaMeeters are welcomed to reserve a spot on the arial park adventure for half off. This is the only available time and again, prior reservations are needed, just call in and specify you’re with Instameet.
Anyone who wants to come but doesn’t want to participate in any activities are welcomed to just show up at any time and hang out to snap awesome photos of the Adventure Center in motion, as well as the amazing views!
— Pearisburg: Pearisburg Festival in the Park, #GilesCoVA —
Music and Open Air Fun at the Pearisburg Festival in the Park. With live entertainment, food, rides, vendors, and 5000+ people, this outdoor festival is a great place for Instagramers to get together!
— Spotsylvania: Wilderness Presidential Resort, #WildSpotsy —
Explore the wild side of Spotsylvania at Wilderness Presidential Resort! Participate by Instagramming your #WildSpotsy adventures for a chance to win prizes, including a weekend stay at the resort! The fun at Wilderness runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and includes an adventure course and two lakes with boat rentals and a beach area. Make it a full weekend of fun when you pull in your camper, pitch a tent or book a cabin.
— Stratford: Stratford Hall, #OutdoorsAtStratford —
Come and see the beauty and splendor of Stratford Hall.
– Trails: Stratford Hall’s nature trails are as varied as they are scenic, providing leisurely strolls for the amateur hiker and challenging treks for veterans. Most trails are navigable by most intermediate hikers. Trail maps are available in the Visitor Center. Trails are marked. Hikers have six trails from which to choose from.
– Beach: Walk to the beach from the Overlook. Collect fossils from the Mycenean Period. Sharks teeth to whale vertebrae have been found. Come and see what you can find!
– Gardens and Grounds: The formal East Garden in a typical 18th century English style, transforming a flat, weed-grown area into a terraced “green garden” enclosed by brick walls and made accessible by oyster-shell paths. To the north of the East Garden grows the small but serviceable Orchard. It offers a glimpse at a few of the varieties of fruits that would have been enjoyed by the residents of Stratford. The North Vista, nearly a mile of tree-lined field, crosses the rolling terrain to the Potomac River. This outstanding area of the Stratford landscape was reopened and gradually widened through the years.
— Fredericksburg: Rappahannock River, #loveFXBG —
A series of coordinated FREE events are being offered from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Come on out to City Dock and enjoy activities like stand-up paddleboarding classes, canoe and kayak rentals, and river safety courses. The best photos from these activities and river fun in general will automatically be entered into a drawing for Experience Downtown gift cards. Remember to hashtag those pics!
— Richmond: Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, #Bflies —
A visit to Lewis Ginter may have you lingering all day. It was voted the #2 Best Public Garden in North America by USA Today readers last year!
Start bright and early with blooms and butterflies. Take advantage of the cool morning and great light by meeting in the Robins Visitor Center at 9 a.m. and taking a group photo in front of the Garden’s Conservatory at 9:15 a.m. Then explore the gardens on your own, finding Butterflies LIVE! and entering the #Bflies Instagram contest (prize package valued at over $1,100). The Garden Cafe is a great, shady place to enjoy lunch. *Please note regular admission or membership is required for entry.
— Abingdon, Alvarado, Damascus, Whitetop: Virginia Creeper Trail, #VACreeper —
Be greeted at any of the four trailheads between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and then take off for a day of fun and beauty along the famed Virginia Creeper Trail. Insider tip: Start at Whitetop and coast downhill! The Virginia Creeper Trail is 34.3 miles long and has stops along the way. If you’d like to rent a bike for the day, there are several outfitters to choose from.
— Richmond: Treetop Zoofari Zip Line and Adventure Park, #HangOutRVA —
RSVP to experience Richmond’s zip line and adventure park! Sixteen ziplines send you sailing for more than 4,000′ with 42 obstacles to conquer, too. Meet the folks of #HangOutRVA at 10:15 a.m. to get the fun started.